Each of the doors opens, and cast resin scale hinges were provided
in the kit.
are fitted to the aircraft. These were
created from .01-inch aluminum.
On the bottom of the fuselage is a
raised section that allows access to the
fuel drains and other fittings. This was
fabricated from balsa and styrene sheet.
The vent louvres were made using a
heat-forming jig, similar to that which
was used for the navigation lights.
A number of small drain pipes made
from brass tube are found on the fuselage.
The removable tail cone has some
unusual fastener retainers that were
made from .01-inch aluminum and held
in place with 1/32-inch aluminum rivets.
There are four antennae: two radio, one
emergency locator transmitter (ELT),
and one trailing wire long-wave antenna.
The trailing wire antenna runs from an
insulator on the fuselage top to a hook
on the fin, then to a clip on the wingtip.
The ELT antenna mount and insulator
were turned from a brass rod. The
insulator has a #0 rod that screws into
the top for fastening the trailing antenna.
The mounts for the two radio antennae
were fabricated from brass tubing. The
removable radio antennae are 0.047-inch
music wire. The antennae are held in
place by magnets inside of the structure.
An access step on the front right of the
fuselage and a handle on the top were
built from brass tubing and sheeting.
The last items to be installed before
applying the clear coat were small
unpainted screws that retain the
wingtips, wing root cuff, and fin fairing.
These are small eyeglass screws. I
ordered a box of 1,000 online for $4.
They were screwed into 3/64-inch
holes. I expect the paint to hold
them in place.
The scale propeller was assembled
from a cast resin kit of a Hamilton
Standard constant speed propeller from
Scale Specialties. It was painted with
Alclad II paint, which is commonly used
by plastic model builders to obtain a
polished aluminum appearance.
Color and Painting
The model was painted with Klass
Kote two-part epoxy white paint. The
blue was custom mixed by Klass Kote
to match the prototype’s paint. I took
a number of paint chips from my local
store with me when I visited the full-scale prototype in the museum. I had
one that was a perfect match for the
blue, and used that to match the
The blue trim on the fuselage cowl
and fin were painted over the white.
The wing also had a white base coat.
A special jig was used to hold the wing
and fuselage during painting so that they
could be rotated, allowing all sides to be
painted in one go. The dowel in the 2 x
4 was sized to fit into the wing tube.
A number of 1 x 2-inch wooden
frames were built to hold the smaller
parts during painting. The parts were
held on the frames with wire.
The Norcanair graphic on the fuselage
and the compass graphic on the fin were
created by Cal-Grafx using photographs
of the full-scale prototype’s markings.
The fine yellow stripes were also
prepared by Cal-Grafx.
I figured that it would be too
challenging to mask the yellow stripes,
paint them, and have them come out
looking uniform and equally spaced
from the blue. The yellow stripes created
by Cal-Grafx were .08-inch wide and
color matched to the prototype.
Each of the stripes had a clear strip
.091-inch wide on one side. This was
the spacing to the blue trim. It was an
easy task to lay down the yellow stripes
by running the edge
of the clear on the
edge of the blue. The
vinyl stripe material
was flexible enough
and the adhesive
strong enough to
allow the trim to fold
around small parts
and in tight corners
(e.g., over the door
The white call
sign lettering was
obtained from my
local sign shop. The
yellow ELT label was
a decal created on my
Weathering can add character and
depth to a model, but it is easily
overdone. The aircraft should look
the same as the photos in your
documentation. I was modeling an
aircraft with years of experience and
based on photos of it in service, not in
the museum. I tried to make it look
used, but not abused. I applied small
amounts of weathering in nooks and
crannies, and a few oil and exhaust
stains on the underside of
The visible part of the shiny
aluminum exhaust pipe was treated
to give it a dirty, heated, and
After all of the graphics, details, and
weathering were complete, the entire
model was given a coat of clear coat. The
coat was a 50/50 mix of gloss and satin,
which resulted in some gloss, but
it wasn’t as shiny as fresh paint.
53 Model Aviation APRIL 2017 www.ModelAviation.com